08 December 1997

Ford condemns "callous" murder

South Antrim Alliance Councillor David Ford has condemned last Friday’s murder of Mr. Gerry Devlin at St. Edna’s GAA club in Glengormley.

Councillor Ford said: “I would like to reiterate my condemnation of this horrific crime and I would like to offer my deepest sympathy to Mr. Devlin’s family. And as we approach Christmas - this brutal murder seems particularly repugnant.

“There is increasing belief among local people and members of the security forces that the murder was sectarian. This community wants no part in a killing which can in no way be justified for any cause - political, sectarian or otherwise.

“And I would call on anyone with information about this terrible deed to contact the police immediately and bring those involved to justice”.